Oh no! I can’t see my bum-bum!!!

I am surrounded by men – one big guy (my hubby), and two little guys (our boys, aged 5 and 3) :).

Being the naturally inquisitive children that God created our boys to be lol, they are always asking questions about why many things are a certain way, and wanting to know and understand more:). We try our best to answer their questions, and teach them what they need to know… but when my 3yr old started asking to see some things I knew he could not see…Eg asking me with the most bewildered look on his face — “How do you pee, Mummy? Can I see your bum-bum?” I knew I had to draw the line somewhere! lol!

I am built differently from you, I explained to him. And don’t worry, I can still pee comfortably, even though I’m different. But sorry, you can’t see my bum because it’s private. Ok? “Ok Mummy”, he replied. But the next time he used the potty and I went in to wipe his bum, he asked – “Is my bum-bum private too Mummy?” Yes sweetie, I replied. “So how come you can look at my bum-bum if it’s private?” Oh boy…lol.

I explained to him that grownups’ bum-bums are private :D. But for kids, it’s a little different. Yes, your bum is private, I told him. But it’s ok for family members to see your bum-bum sometimes, like when they are helping you clean up or dress up.
“Ooh, I get it!” he said excitedly. He then started listing all the people who could see his bum and those who could not: “Daddy can see it. Mummy can see it. Grandma can see it….” and I’d reply with a nod and a little Hmm-hmm as he chatted and giggled away.

And then all of a sudden, his tone changed – it suddenly hit him. He tried looking at his own behind and of course, no matter how hard he tried, he found it impossible to see his own bum-bum.

“Oh no Mummy! I can’t see my bum-bum”!!!

You can just imagine how hard I laughed that day. Yep, we can see other people’s bum-bums very clearly but we can’t see ours!:)!. And the people closest to us, our loved ones, can see our bums. But we can’t really see ours… except we use a mirror :).

What this incident immediately brought to mind was this reminder – Ok I live my life, praying and trusting to grow and become a much better person everyday – with God’s help and by His grace. But I too, have a bum, and I can’t see it except I use a mirror! The ultimate mirror to me is my relationship with God, studying the scriptures, communicating with God regularly, learning, un-learning, re-learning…

There are certain things I would be completely and totally unaware of, that I would not really be able to see, if I had not activated my relationship with God, and taken the time to study His word and get to know Him better every day (it’s certainly an ongoing process:)!). And I firmly believe that the people God has placed in our lives, particularly the ones closest to us – also serve as mirrors, to help see our “bums” when we are so often unable to see (or smell ;))!

So I am reminded to embrace and be thankful for the “mirrors” in my life, my friends and loved ones that will take the time to lovingly bring it to my attention if I am releasing some not-so-pretty gases from my bum :D – even though a loving correction might sometimes be a little hard to swallow ;). I am reminded of how blessed we are to have God as our father and as our ultimate mirror, and how blessed we are for all the wonderful people He has placed, and continues to place, in our lives. You know, especially those ones who continue to love us so wholeheartedly even after they’ve seen and smelled a whole LOT!:)!

Here’s the verse of the day:

Proverbs 15: 31-33 (NLT)
“If you listen to constructive criticism, you will be at home among the wise.
If you reject discipline, you only harm yourself;
but if you listen to correction, you grow in understanding.
Fear of the Lord teaches wisdom;
humility precedes honor.”

A couple more verses to think about: (Thanks Tomi for helping me remember these :)!)
Psalm 139:23-24 (NLT): Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. Point out anything in me that offends you, and lead me along the path of everlasting life.

Psalm 119:18 (ESV): Open my eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of your law.

***
Sending mega loads of love your way today and always:)!. And thanking you all, now and always, for being continual encouragers as we all grow in our walk with God.

Much Love & Blessings,

Bomi Jolly

Inspirational Bible Verses & Quotes from JollyNotes.com

More Inspiring Goodies ~ Explore, Enjoy, & Be Blessed!
Inspirational Bible Verses    Inspirational Bible Stories
Christian Quotes    Inspirational Quotes
Inspirational Bible Verses & Quotes from JollyNotes.com
76 Responses to Oh no! I can’t see my bum-bum!!!
  1. Lara Daniels
    February 9, 2011 | 10:33 AM

Oh Bomi….I laughed so hard, tears seeped out of my eyes. Isn’t it amazing what one learns from these little ones? Yes, I can’t see my bum-bum too, but I thank God for His word: The ultimate mirror that shows me what it is and helps me to correct any flaws that it has. God bless you and your beautiful family, Bomi for sharing timless beautiful truths like this.

2. Lara Daniels
    February 9, 2011 | 10:33 AM

Oh Bomi….I laughed so hard, tears seeped out of my eyes. Isn’t it amazing what one learns from these little ones? Yes, I can’t see my bum-bum too, but I thank God for His word: The ultimate mirror that shows me what it is and helps me to correct any flaws that it has. God bless you and your beautiful family, Bomi for sharing timeless beautiful truths like this.

3. Eddie Ekwo
    February 9, 2011 | 10:47 AM

Wow!! its amazing how the simplest things can be so insightful, instructional and inspirational. Thanks Bomi, really something I needed to hear and very glad I stopped by to read this. keep it coming.

4. toeurc
    February 9, 2011 | 11:16 AM

now am laughing my bum out!! i absolutely love dis…i dont no ur kids,buh i love dem already! im rily thankful for my lyf and the pple in it!! God bless Bomi! Happy Valentines day 2u in advance!

5. Bomi Jolly
    February 9, 2011 | 11:19 AM

@Lara – aww thank you!:)! So glad to hear this was good for you! I couldn’t stop laughing either, and don’t laugh at me – but silly me I couldn’t resist trying to look behind at my “bumbum” after that lol!!! But seriously, thank God for teaching us all these big and little lessons everyday, through big and little people. Thank you very much Lara!! God bless you and your very beautiful family too:)!!!

@Eddie – Thank you thank you thank you Eddie, for taking the time to read and share. I am trusting that God will continue to open our eyes to see what he wants us to see in every situation around us – whether good or bad, may we always see, may we always learn. Thank you very much once again Eddie. I’m beaming:D! Have a wonderful rest of the day!:)!

@Toeurc – lol!!! Thanks a lot T:)! love you too, and I sincerely hope we can all meet you someday:)! You just never know what the future might bring:)! So glad to hear this was positive for you – and like you, I am certainly extremely thankful for my life and all the people in it:)! God bless you too T, Happy “love” day – now and always:-)!

6. Oyeleke Mary Oluwadunsin
    February 9, 2011 | 11:20 AM

i can’t see my bom bom, but i can clearly see that of my niece. lol.
    often time it is with our mistakes and faults, we can’t see them but can clearly view that of others, saves the Holy-spirit, that speaks deep into our hearts and teaches us what He hears.
    thanks 4 blessing us again. longest time…

7. myne Whitman
    February 9, 2011 | 12:03 PM

Oh dear, this got me laughing so much too. But what always blows me away are the inspirational messages you’re able to craft with these little nuggets. Thank God for His word, for we would fall into pits without it.

And thanks for sharing Bomi. Have a lovely and blessed week too.

8. Jaycee (E.A)
    February 9, 2011 | 12:35 PM

I couldn’t help myself but laugh when I read how your son tried to look at his own “bum-bum.” Really beautiful lesson out of this, thank God that He’s our eyes when we can’t see through this sometimes foggy world.

9. Bomi Jolly
    February 9, 2011 | 12:45 PM

@Mary – LOL!! I’m with you! Thank God for God, Thank God for His Holy Spirit who ministers to us, deep within our hearts like you said:)! Thanks a lot Mary:)! Please give your niece a very big hug for me:)!

@Myne – Thank you so much for your kind words Myne:)! And I echo your prayers of thanksgiving — “Thank God for His word, for we would fall into pits without it.” … Amen! Thank you again Myne:)!

@Jaycee – lol…! Thanks so much for stopping by, beautiful lady! I am loving your profile pic! I couldn’t agree more – Thank God for being everything to us:)! & Thank you very much Jaycee!

10. kinkimo
    February 9, 2011 | 12:52 PM

Not only did I laff my ass out,am still laffin my ass out.. It was so funny dat I ad to read it out to my siblings!!! What a funny piece it is.. I see my bum through d mirror too!! Really can’t comment cos its so funny dat I didn’t get any other msg… Lol

11. Oluwatoyin
    February 9, 2011 | 2:12 PM

Very funny yet very true!
    Thank You Bomi, God bless your heart…

12. Kristy
    February 9, 2011 | 2:25 PM

Oh my Gosh u just made my day with this inspirational message. I laughed so hard ha ha ha ha. lol!!!. But yes I agree there are certain things in our life that we might not even notice that only people around us will take note & correct us. I pray God helps us to make the changes so that we can be fully holy & acceptable in his sight. Amen.

Thanks a lot for the inspirational message Remain Blessed!!!

13. Bomi Jolly
    February 9, 2011 | 2:57 PM

@Kinkimo,
    @Oluwatoyin,
    @Kristy –
    Very glad to have made you laugh:)!, laughter is very good for the soul after all ;)! I am laughing as I type this too lol! Thank you very much. God bless you and yours too, and continue to fill all our hearts with laughter. Amen:)! Thank you:)! And Kristy – Amen to those very important prayers – may we never get complacent but always be willing to make whatever changes are necessary at any point in time – always changing for the better – by God’s grace and with His help – always:)! Thank you very much:)! Enjoy the rest of your day and God bless…:)!

14. Asifa
    February 9, 2011 | 4:03 PM

Too funny!! Thanks for being my mirror Bomi!!

15. Olaoluwatomi
    February 9, 2011 | 7:13 PM

My prayer now is for God to let me see my bum:) Nice one Bomi! O ma to jo meta o!

16. Lanre Ogundare
    February 10, 2011 | 12:36 AM

Bomi, this is a really nice, inspirational nugget. Keep on keeping on…Blessings to you and yours…!

17. Bomi Jolly
    February 10, 2011 | 12:45 AM

@Asifa – LOL!!! Thank you too, dear Asifa, for being a mirror and much more to me!:)! You certainly have an extremely grateful friend and sister in me..!:)! Thank you:).

@Olaoluwatomi – I think that’s lovely! your prayer reminds me of these verses: Psalm 139: 23-24 & Psalm 119:18. I will dv edit the note to include these scriptures. Thanks a lot once again Tomi:)! Indeed, “o to jo meta” … aro e so mi o ore !:)!

@Lanre – Thank you so very much for your kind words and prayers.. wishing you and yours many blessings too, now and always:)! God bless!:)!

18. yhetee
    February 10, 2011 | 12:47 AM

very nice bunmmi, but guess what???even though i smilled, ur little boys innocent comments got me thinking,we can all really learn from the things around us lol,if only we can see.

19. Olaide
    February 10, 2011 | 12:59 AM

OMG, I cannot help laughing. Its so amazing how children of this generation are so inquisitive. My son displays similar traits. We need God’s help to respond and nurture them in the right way. God bless u bomi for this article. Its so easy to outline other people’s errors without being able to see ours. Thank God for HIS word and the holy Spirit that is able to teach us all things.

Have a lovely day!

20. Titi
    February 10, 2011 | 1:59 AM

“Oh no Mummy! I can’t see my bum-bum”!!! very funny, I laughed so hard, children are wonderful.
    Very funny post but the message is still very clear and at this particular time in my life, I need this kind of inspiring messages.
    God bless u Bomi and may He continue to keep your family safe. Amen.

21. Bomi Jolly
    February 10, 2011 | 5:47 AM

@yhetee – Very glad to hear it got you thinking! This little guy’s comment certainly got me thinking too:). I hope we always remember all the lessons that God takes the time to teach us – now and always. I pray our eyes will continually be opened that we might see. Thank you very much Yhetee:)! God bless.

@Olaide – lol! Kids are so funny aren’t they… and yes I couldn’t agree more, we need God’s help and wisdom to know how to respond to them and nurture each child in the right way – trusting that God will continually lead and guide us all aright amen! YES, yes yes God help us all and Thank God for GOD, His Word, and His precious Holy Spirit. Thank you very much Olaide:)!. Have a lovely day too, and please give your little guy a mega hug for me=)!

@Titi – lol! They certainly are, & I am very thankful to God for the opportunity to watch them grow and learn from them. I’m so pleased to hear that you found this useful Titi. Praise God. Thank you much much for your very thoughtful prayers – AMEN. They are much appreciated. God bless you Titi:)! Thanks.

22. Ms_Rox
    February 10, 2011 | 1:00 PM

Bomi jolly, thanks for always engaging us with simple illustrations, so we can deeply reflect on how the message applies in our lives. I pray my bum-bum has a beautiful, rose smelling, -reflection unto others ;)

23. BUKY OF BUKVILLE
    February 10, 2011 | 1:09 PM

LOL, God bless those children, lol. The things they come out with, just hilarious!!!! This is just too funny!!

Thank God for them and the lessons we learn thru them. Have a great week.

24. Gbemi
    February 11, 2011 | 8:24 AM

:o I’m still laughing!!
    I came here from Bukville and I can immediately see why she had such glowing remarks about you. I’m hooked already.

25. Bomi Jolly
    February 11, 2011 | 9:10 AM

@Ms Rox – Thank you very much for taking the time to read, I’m delighted to hear that you continue to find Jollynotes useful and practical – thank you much much! What you said reminds me of what I always joke about – the bathroom always smells like roses after I use it LOL!!! But seriously, thank you and like you, I pray that our lives will always be a sweet smelling reflection unto others:)! Thanks a lot Ms Rox :)!

@ Buky – LOL!! Thank you very much!:)! ..Thanking God with you for the opportunity to keep learning ;)! And thank you much much once again for sharing Jollynotes with your readers – MUCH appreciated:)! Have a wonderful weekend and God bless you and yours.

@Gbemi – lol!! You should see the big smile on my face lol. Thank you so much for your very kind words:)! Glad to hear this was a positive experience for you. Hope to “see” you around again soon:)! Have a very blessed weekend and beyond… Thank you much!:)!

26. Preethi Anna Stephan
    February 11, 2011 | 3:02 PM

Bomi

You are indeed a gem. you come up with the most encouraging words when life seems to have reached its rock bottom. Im glad God is working through you in many peoples lives. God bless u, the kids & ur hubby :)

27. Oyindamola Olofinlua
    February 11, 2011 | 6:27 PM

I really find this lovely. As one of my classmates would say if she read this – “it’s philosophical.” Can I use it on pulpfactionclub.com?

Keep the flag flying.

28. Tope fajem
    February 11, 2011 | 7:51 PM

Funny but the message was precise. You are really a blessing. God bless you and your wonderful family.

29. Bomi Jolly
    February 12, 2011 | 5:49 AM

@Preethi Anna: aww. I’m elated to hear that… I’m excited and extremely thankful to see how God continues to use JollyNotes.com. Thank you very much for your encouraging words and prayers, and for taking the time to read & share. Thanks for being a part of this! Have a blessed weekend. Thank you & God bless you too:)!

@Oyindamola: Please introduce me to your classmate lol!:)! Thanks so much. So glad to hear this was good for you. Thanks for telling me about pulpfactionclub.com – I find the name very intriguing and will be sure to check it out and be in touch:)! Thank you very much once again, Oyinda. Much appreciated:)!

@Tope: Thank you thank you thank you. I’m doing my happy dance LOL! Couldn’t ask for more – the message was successfully passed across, and as a bonus, you laughed! Yay :D!!! Thank you very much Tope, God bless you and all of yours too:)!

30. toyin
    February 12, 2011 | 7:52 AM

u re too much and i need more of this pls

31. 'DeboWilliams
    February 12, 2011 | 11:08 PM

This for me was very laughable and indeed the lesson brought out of it all is very pungent. It takes those very precious little ones sometimes to teach us such wonderful lessons that our busy schedules keep us from perceptively observing. I’m particularly touched at your patience in handling his curious questions and indeed the interactions can show a whole lot of parents and guardians how to patiently participate in their kids’ learning and thinking processes. So many lessons all wrapped into one innocent curious bout of exchanges.
    Good one Maam.

32. tony mak
    February 13, 2011 | 2:28 AM

hilarious and poignant cuz , jolly notes is one of my mirrors:)

33. Bomi Jolly
    February 13, 2011 | 6:37 AM

@Toyin – Thank you so much for your very kind words:)! By God’s grace, more Jollies are coming – please keep in touch:)! Thank you much much. Happy Sunday to you and yours!

@ Debo – You should see the big smile on my face – Thank you very much Debo! You know, I remember some of the very funny questions I asked my folks when I was little too. I laugh now when I remember. Sometimes I see one of the kids doing something I consider weird and I will often remember doing similar things when I was little (I think my memory goes back to when I was 4). I’m sure there are tons of things I don’t even remember. Point is – we were all young once. I am praying that God will help me and indeed us all, to remember to be patient with the little ones He has placed in our care. So much to learn, just like you said! Thank you very much Debo. So glad to hear this was an all around positive experience for you:)! I’m very thankful to God. Thanks again for taking the time to read and share, much appreciated:)! Happy Sunday to you and yours!

@Tony – Mega Thanks, dear cuz :D! Very glad to hear, thanks for always being so encouraging. Thank you thank you thank you. My love to your entire family=)! Happy Sunday to you all:)!

34. Tolulope
    February 13, 2011 | 9:06 AM

I love ,love this, Jesus is so perfect, He said we should remove the log in our eyes before we attempt to remove the speck in the neighbor. I love the way you wrapped this around your wonderful kids.
    God bless you , sister

35. yetunde
    February 14, 2011 | 7:19 AM

Bomi, God bless you mightily IJN amen. This is very insightful n sooooooo wonderful wat great messages God teaches us through all these little children.
    Thanks for blessing us wit dis piece

36. chinedum
    February 15, 2011 | 10:52 AM

This is very inpiring and educative and we bless God for the grace He has bestowed on you to spread his word….may your oil never run dry…keep it up

37. Bomi Jolly
    February 15, 2011 | 3:24 PM

@Tolulope, Yetunde, Chinedum – Thank you so much! I’m very thankful that this was useful for you. Thank God. & Thanks a lot for your very kind thoughts and prayers. They are very much appreciated. Amen:)!God bless you too. Enjoy the rest of your week. It’s flying by already. May we all remain learners and “doers” too:). Amen. Thank you again! Stay blessed.

38. deji "banji"
    February 15, 2011 | 5:23 PM

Great piece! And funny too. Had to share it wit my wife

39. Izebhokhae Stanley
    February 15, 2011 | 5:35 PM

I just have to comment on this, though belated. I don’t know why this article is drawing a comment from me this very first time, but I know this time for me is a soul searching moment. Things aren’t great, despair and gloom. In spite of this we need to be able to see ourselves through the life of Christ… Thanks for this message, it is reassuring…

40. Carole in the UK
    February 16, 2011 | 12:39 AM

The things children say!
    Your boys are the exact age of my two little grandchildren, who also make me double up with laughter, as they come out with such funny questions and also their own conclusions. What a joy they are too you, Bomi.

May the blessings of the Lord continue to be on your house, mixed with plenty of favor.

41. Bomi Jolly
    February 16, 2011 | 6:33 AM

@Deji – Banjiiii:)! lol! That brings such great memories :). Thank you very much for taking the time to read and share with your wife. I’m glad to hear it was great for you, I hope she finds it useful as well. Please give her all my love. I hope I can also meet her someday:)!

@Stanley – Thank you very much for stopping by, and for taking the time to share! It’s wonderful to hear from you. So sorry to hear that things are/were not going so great for you. I will by God’s grace be in touch if that’s ok. Absolutely, we need to see ourselves through the life of Christ… glad you found this message reassuring.
    I will be in touch. Thank you again, Stanley!

@Ms Carole – I know right:)! lol! They are just too funny. Thanking God continually for the opportunity. Thank you so very much for those prayers – AMEN:)! I wish you and indeed everyone reading this the same. Amen. Stay blessed:)!

42. Sola Macaulay
    February 16, 2011 | 9:31 AM

This was rather hilarious. I almost caught myself looking behind me too, searching for ‘you know what’ lol.

Out of the mouth of babes, He has perfected praise. It’s amazing the simple truths about God’s word that children teach from their perceived innocent remarks.

Beautiful write-up. The Lord will increase you more and more and may your oil never run dry.

43. adedoyin
    February 23, 2011 | 9:02 AM

this is good

44. Anonymous
    February 23, 2011 | 4:14 PM

Funny nd thoughtful.

45. Bimbo
    February 23, 2011 | 4:16 PM

Funny nd thoughtful.

46. Bomi Jolly
    February 23, 2011 | 9:12 PM

@ Sola – You and me both – lol!! Thanks so much Sola, for reading, for sharing, and for your very kind words and prayers – very much appreciated:)! Thank you, & Stay blessed!

@Adedoyin, @Bimbo
    Very glad to hear this was good for you! Thank you very much for taking the time to read and also to share. I really appreciate it:)! Enjoy the rest of your week, God bless:)!

47. bingkee
    February 24, 2011 | 12:05 AM

Actually, I am saddened when I am now reading the first verse you shared. A friend (actually online buddy) who confessed his devout faith and devotion to Christ Jesus does not accept correction. He offended me and I know he probably didn’t mean to but his words were so careless that I got so upset. When I confronted him about it politely telling him that his words upset me, he didn’t make any move —nor respond to my message —not even an explanation nor an apology nor anything…..not a single word from him came. I was expecting a little more explanationof why he did that and why he said it and deep inside me I was hoping he would ask an apology. You know why his actions affected me so much—it is because he claims himself to be a servant of God, spend most of his time blogging in his 6 blogs about God’s wisdom, grace, love and his preachings to obey God. He spoke about humility and forgiveness. But he couldn’t even be humble enough to even just write it. He really disappointed me because I looked up to him as a spiritually mature person who is a “pastor” of God’s message. But he just couldn’t take any correction nor can utter a simple sorry.

48. T. Byron Williams
    February 24, 2011 | 4:10 PM

This is a priceless story. I am reminded when my daughter as my wife at age 5 what was a penis. When my wife called me and told what she had asked, after passing out on the floor, I was still in shock. My wife told her it was a private part that men have…..thus my daughter ask, so can I see daddy. (LOL). My wife said to her, no, you cannot, daughters don’t see daddy private parts, just like Daddy don’t see yours. Then my daughter ask, then have you seen it….(so glad I was at work). My wife told her yes, because daddy and I are married.

My daughter was quiet for awhile, then became angry, because she thought it was unfair that only momma could see everyone private parts…

It’s a story that me and my wife still laugh about some 10 years later….and my daughter finds no humor in it all..

God bless you, you have given me a good laugh for today.

49. Mayo
    February 27, 2011 | 10:35 AM

lol Bomi. I Neva got a chance to read this article, it probably came when I had too much going on. That ur boy is something ain’t he? He sure keeps u on ur toes. Am glad ure able to draw insights that are truly inspirational from ur little ones. We are truly reminded of some of our own limitations and hw much we need those sincere mirrors in our lives. May God give us d humility to listen and act right, when our mirrors come a little too strong :)

50. Bomi Jolly
    February 28, 2011 | 4:35 AM

@Bingkee – Thanks so much for taking the time to read and share:)! Thank you. And I am very sorry to hear about the situation with your online friend. I pray things take a turn for the better very soon. May God continue to teach us all, and may we continue to apply all that we’ve learned, in every aspect of our lives. We are all learning and changing every day. Have a pleasant day B, God bless you much much:)!

@Elder Williams – LOL. Glad to have made you laugh:)! LOL @ the story about your 5 year old daughter! What a blessing children are! Thank you for stopping by JollyNotes.com! Much appreciated. God bless you and all that concerns you too, always:)!

@Mayo – LOL… He really is something! Yep they both keep me on my toes, never a boring day around here lol!! Thank you very much Mayo. Loved your insight and I say Amen to your prayer “May God give us d humility to listen and act right, when our mirrors come a little too strong :)! lol. Amen! Humility. Wisdom. Patience. All wonderful and relevant virtues – May we never ever let them go, May we always remember, by God’s grace. Thank you very much Mayo! Stay blessed & in His love:)!